As a beneficiary or a potential beneficiary, you can contest a Will if you believe that you have been treated unfairly by the Will-maker. If the Will-maker was unjust or unreasonable in how you were treated in the Will, the Wills, Estates and Succession Act (WESA) gives the power to the Court power to change the Will so that you receive the proper inheritance.
If you are facing with ‘unfair inheritance’ and ‘disinheritance’, our Estate Litigation Lawyers can assist you with:
- wills variation claims
- disputes over the validity of wills
- litigation regarding the interpretation of wills and trusts
- passing of executor’s and trustee’s accounts
- applications for court direction on behalf of fiduciaries;
- litigation under the Patients Property Act (Committeeship applications)
- applications involving charitable trusts
- applications under the Trust and Settlement Variation Act
Our Estate Litigators are experienced at all levels of court in British Columbia but we also recognize the benefit and importance of Alternative Dispute Resolution mechanisms such as mediation to resolve complex Estate and Trust disputes so that the costs and stress of Estate Litigation can be minimized.